Cooking skills must run in the genes of the Hadid family, after her sister went viral for a Spicy Vodka Pasta recipe, Bella has joined in on the Tiktok recipe fun and shares some of her favourite dishes to make. This week at Superette we are making her most loved recipe – a Chicken Shawarma Sandwich.
Although we love Bella’s love and flare for cooking, a recipe and ingredients list didn’t quite make the cut on her video. Check out Bella’s process for her brief step-by-step guide recipe on her ultimate Chicken Shawarma Recipe, or give this Half Baked Harvest version a try for something similar
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite size chunks
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 6 cloves garlic, grated
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 shallots, halved
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or avocado mayo
- 1/2 cup mixed herbs, such as mint and dill, chopped
- 4 russet potatoes, cut into ¼-inch-thick matchsticks
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, skin on and smashed
- kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
1. In a bowl, combine the chicken, 1/4 cup olive oil, the paprika, cumin, turmeric, 4 cloves garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, crushed red pepper, and a large pinch of salt. Toss to coat. Marinate for 15 minutes or up to overnight in the fridge.
2. Meanwhile, make the fries. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place the potatoes on a large baking sheet and toss with olive oil, turmeric, cayenne, smashed garlic cloves and a large pinch of salt. Spread the fries in an even layer. Do not overcrowd the pan, if needed, divide the fries between 2 baking sheets. Transfer to the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, then flip and bake for 15 minutes more. Add the butter, toss, and return to the oven for another 5 minutes. You want the potatoes to be tender, yet crispy.
3. To make the garlic sauce, combine the yogurt, 2 cloves grated garlic (see note), and 2-3 tablespoons lemon juice. Season with salt. Taste, adding more of the lemon as desired.
4. Set your grill, grill pan, or skillet to medium-high heat. Take skewers and thread the chicken pieces on. Grill the skewers until lightly charred and cooked through, turning them occasionally throughout cooking, about 10 to 12 minutes total. During the same time, grill the shallots for 2-3 minutes per side. Alternately, you can roast the chicken at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes.
5. In a bowl, combine the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil, the mixed herbs, and a pinch of salt. Add the shallots, tossing to coat.
6. Serve the chicken topped with garlic sauce and herb oil. Add the fries on the side with naan. Enjoy!