Fresh and tasty, these Maple Tofu Lettuce cups from Sunee will get your mouth watering. Completely gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free and vegan, this healthy recipe is everything we need and more!
Serves 8 cups.
GLUTEN FREE ∙ DAIRY FREE ∙ NUT FREE ∙ VEGAN ∙ VEGETARIAN ∙ LOW FODMAP
- 450g firm tofu
- 4 Tbsp arrowroot flour
- 2 Tbsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1½ Tbsp tamari
- 150g or 2 servings vermicelli rice noodles
- juice of 1 large lime
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp coconut aminos
- 8 iceberg lettuce cups
- ¼ cup fresh mint leaves (roughly chopped)
- 1 large carrot (peeled & finely sliced in strips)
- 1 large cucumber (finely sliced into strips)
- ½ cup red cabbage (finely sliced)
- 1 red chilli (finely chopped)
- Rinse tofu and firmly pat dry with a paper towel or a linen tea towel (removing as much excess water as possible to help crisp up the wedges at the end).
- Cut tofu into triangle wedges (around 20 pieces).
- Pour arrowroot flour onto a plate and one by one, roll tofu wedges in the arrowroot flour until completely coated. Repeat this process until all tofu triangles are evenly coated with arrowroot flour.
- Heat sesame oil in a large fry pan or wok over high-medium heat and add tofu wedges (if your fry pan isn’t big enough, you might have to do this in two batches).
- Cook wedges evenly on each side until they’re golden and crispy this will take a few minutes on each side.
- Drizzle maple syrup and tamari into the pan/wok once tofu is crispy. Reduce heat to medium-low and continuously stir liquid through the tofu wedges, gently folding together to coat each wedge. Continue to fold through and heat until all the liquid has been absorbed and reduced, this will leave you with a crispy, sticky tofu!
- Place vermicelli rice noodles in a large bowl and cover with hot water. Leave for 10 minutes then drain and place back in the bowl.
- Combine lime juice, coconut sugar, sesame oil and coconut aminos with the vermicelli noodles. Gently toss together until evenly combined.
- Prepare all other vegetables and assemble lettuce cups with desired quantities, topping with red chilli and an extra squeeze of lime.