Images and recipes from My Asian Kitchen by Jennifer Joyce, Murdoch Books.
A modern Asian cookbook, Jennifer Joyce shares her vibrant healthy zingy Asian flavours with great diversity which can easily be created in your kitchen! This dish has a bit of all the elements you crave in a good salad: crisp, chopped veggies, grilled meat and a punchy dressing. The list of ingredients might seem a little lengthy, but it takes very little time to throw it all together!
PREP 20 MINUTES, PLUS 2 HOURS MARINATING.
COOK TIME 35 MINUTES
- 500 g (1 lb 2 oz) bavette, skirt or sirloin steak
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 3 tsp vegetable oil
- Lotus wafers (see page 44)
SESAME MAPLE DRESSING
- 60 g (2 oz) sesame seeds
- 60 ml (2 fl oz) light soy sauce
- 60 ml (2 fl oz) rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 200 g (7 oz) cherry tomatoes
- 10 large red radishes
- 6 spring onions (scallions)
- 2 baby cucumbers
- 3 large heritage carrots
- 2 avocados
- 100 g (31/2 oz) watercress, mizuna, baby kale or wild rocket (arugula)
- Place the steaks in a zip lock bag and add the garlic, soy, honey and ginger. Marinate for 2 hours or up to overnight refrigerated.
- To make the sesame maple dressing, place the sesame seeds in a dry frying pan. Turn the heat to the lowest setting and let them slowly turn golden, about 10 minutes. Place in a blender with the remaining dressing ingredients and blend until it’s a fine liquid. Scrape into a bowl and set aside.
- Heat a chargrill pan or outdoor grill. Brush the steak with the oil and grill on direct heat for 3–4 minutes each side for medium rare. Bavette/skirt steak can vary in thickness so if you have a very fat piece, leave it on the heat a little longer. Once cooked, let the steak rest for 10 minutes under foil. Thinly slice and set aside.
- To make the salad, halve the cherry tomatoes, thinly slice the radishes and spring onions and cut the baby cucumbers into coins. Slice the carrots into ribbons using a potato peeler and cut the avocados into 4 cm (11⁄2 inch) cubes. Place all of the salad ingredients into a large bowl and add the beef and lotus wafers.
- Pour the sesame maple dressing over the salad and toss together. Arrange on a platter to serve.