Meet Golden Goose, the newest member of our Superette International family. Golden Goose was established in 2000 in Venice, Italy, by two young local designers Francesca Rinaldo and Alessandro Gallo with an idea of creating artisanally enabled luxury.
The infamous sneakers followed in 2007 and today, over 20 years since it all began, the brands Italian heritage remains at the heart of the business with a strong focus on the art of traditional craftsmanship and that special artisanal touch. Golden Goose’s effortlessly and attitude carries through their ready to wear collections, accessories and footwear. An approach to fashion that that was unlike other brands in the industry when they launched.
“There wasn’t a fashion sneaker like Golden Goose. There were the sportswear brands and then the high-end fashion houses who produced very precious sneaker styles, but there was no real in-between. Golden Goose filled that void by providing a fashion sneaker that look polished and cool, but was not too precious.”
– Marina Larroude, the fashion director at Barneys New York
The signature aesthetic of the brand stems from Rinaldo and Gallo’s love for research, traveling and the works of art they’ve encountered and continue to encounter on their journeys alongside vintage items and distinctive local features. Each new collection is tied to the feeling of experience as they aim for the vintage feel to evoke the memories of the past like a postcard – each scratch or mark only gets better with time as more memories are created.
The shoes are handmade, manually processed and constructed by the Italian artisans of Golden Goose, their “Sneaker Maker”. The handmade shoe is individually distressed by the sneaker makers who attentively details each shoe to create the vintage aesthetic and ultimately create the “perfect imperfection” with the best quality.
Golden Goose founders Alessandro Gallo and Francesca Rinaldo describe their infamous Superstar sneakers as being an “emotional product that is authentic and never artificial.” They look as though they’ve already lived a good life, full of adventure, and encourage you to do more of the same. You can wear them anywhere, in any social situation. They’re meant to blend in among the every-man, while still catching the attention of those in the know.
Superette’s Guide to Shopping Golden Goose
- Due to their unique handmade quality, Golden Goose sneakers have a few interesting features to note: on any given pair, the right side may not match the left side perfectly. They are usually similar in terms of marks and distressing, but the patterns are not always identical.
- Most Golden Goose designs use multiple pieces of leather and patterns—not a single material for the entire shoe—which adds complexity to production processes and materials sourcing.
- When trying on a pair of Golden Goose Sneakers, you’ll also notice the interior lining, which is not smooth leather or unvarnished suede leather, but rather a loopback cotton towelling material, which makes the shoes warm in the winter and cool in the summer for your feet. This is also a purposeful design feature so your sneakers are pleasant to wear year-round.
- The women’s sneakers have a taller leather insole that provides better cushion and comfort. You might feel a touch taller when you slip on a pair! This height advantage—like the ‘stiletto of sneakers’ if you will—is one reason Golden Goose is so popular.