A delicious alternative to the classic chip & dip combo, The Hungry Cook’s Herby Chickpea, Feta & Spinach dip with seedy crackers is the perfect mid arvo snack.
Recipe by Olivia Galletly of The Hungry Cook
– 1 & 1/4 cups of whole oats
– 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
– 1/2 cup sunflowers seeds
– 1/4 cup sesame seeds
– 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
– 2 tablespoons chia seeds
– 2 teaspoons honey (optional)
– 1 tablespoon olive oil
– 1/2 teaspoon salt
– 3/4 cup water
– 350g tinned chickpeas, drained, plus 50g extra to serve
– 150g feta
– 120g spinach, blanched and excess liquid squeezed out
– 30g pine nuts, toasted, plus extra to serve
– 1 tablespoon tahini
– 2 cloves of garlic
– 1 tablespoon of olive oil
– Juice of half a lemon
– 2 stalks of green onion
– Large handful of mint leaves, plus extra to serve
– Large handful of parsley leaves, plus extra to serve
– Small handful of dill
– Pinch of salt & pepper
– 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
Preheat oven to 180°C.
Place all ingredients in a bowl, mix well then let stand for ten minutes until water has completely soaked up.
On a lined baking tray, place the seed mixture. Place a sheet of baking paper on top, using a rolling pin flatten seeds until around 4mm thick. Remove top layer of baking paper and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, gently flip cracker over and bake for a further 15 minutes or until outside edges are golden.
Using your hand break up into large pieces.
In a food processor, blitz the 350g of chickpeas, feta, spinach, pine nuts, tahini, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice, green onion, fresh herbs and salt and pepper until you have a smooth paste.
Fry the remaining chickpeas in a little olive oil and smoked paprika until golden.
Place dip on a plate, drizzle with olive oil and scatter over chickpeas, pine nuts and extra herbs.