Everyone knows that Mother’s Day is all about showing your Mum you really appreciate everything she’s done for you… and brunch. If you are lucky enough to be sharing a bubble with your Mum, these recipes by Ottolenghi will ensure she gets the lovely morning meal she deserves.
Ottolenghi’s Courgette and Ciabatta Frittata
INGREDIENTS | Serves 6 – 8
– 500g ciabatta or light rye bread, crusts removed and torn (net weight 250g)
– 200ml full cream milk
– 200ml fresh cream
– 1 garlic clove, minced
– 6 eggs, (xl)
– 5ml dried oregano
– 1 stem fresh rosemary, de-stalked and finely chopped
– 80g parmesan cheese, grated
– 2 medium courgettes, coarsely grated (200g)
– 200g baby spinach, roughly chopped
– 25g basil, torn
– Salt and black pepper, to taste
– Preheat the oven to 180º C. Grease a 20 x 25 cm baking dish.
– Place the bread, milk and cream in a large bowl. Give it a good mix and set aside for 30 minutes.
– Whisk together the garlic, eggs, oregano, rosemary and 50g of the Parmesan. Add 3/4 teaspoon salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
– Add the egg mixture, courgettes, spinach and basil to the soaked bread and mix to combined.
– Transfer the bread mixture to the baking dish and spread out evenly. Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan over the top and return to the oven for a further 25 minutes. If you’re using rye, add another 5 minutes to the cooking time.
Set aside for at least 5 minutes before serving.
Ottolenghi’s Cornbread with Maple Roast Peaches
INGREDIENTS | Serves 4
– 80 g sweetcorn kernels (fresh or frozen – just over 1/2 a corn cob)
– 85 g plain flour , sifted (2/3 cup)
– 75 g instant polenta (1/2 cup)
– 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 25 g unsalted butter , melted
– 70 ml full fat milk
– 70 g greek yoghurt
– 3 eggs , yolks and white separated
– 1 tablespoon runny honey , plus extra for serving
– Coarse sea salt and black pepper
– Extra maple syrup
– 4-5 large ripe peaches , halved and stoned
– 4 tablespoons maple syrup
– Seeds of 1 vanilla bean or 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste
– Juice of a lime
– 80 g mascarpone
– 130 g creme fraiche
– 1 tablespoon maple syrup
– 1 teaspoon vanilla essence